In 1777 Count Karl Eberhard von Sievers obtained the castle estate. At his time, the stable – coach- house was being constructed. It is believed that the year of construction, is the year shown on building`s weather vane – “1781”.
The present appearance of the stables and the cart-house of Cēsis castle manor in the free form of late classicism emerged after a restructuring in the first half of the 19th century. The facade of the building has a characteristic segmented window shape which is a characteristic motif in other Castle manor’s buildings, built or reconstructed during this time.
The building was erected to provide stables for the horses of the lords and of the guests in the local inn, as well as the cart-house in which wheels and carriages were stored.
At the one end of the building, stables for the master`s riding and work horses was located, as well as the cart-house in which visitors carriages were stored. At the other end, closer to the castle hotel or tavern- stables and coach house was located and used solely for thehorsesof tavern guests. The building lost its original function as stables and the cart-house in the early 1920’s, when it was transferred to the 8th Daugavpils infantry regiment of the Latvian army. During subsequent decades the building was transformed into a warehouse and garages. In 1985 after the reconstruction of this building the Exhibition Hall was located here.
An expressive architectural style composed of impressive woodwork rooms, provides an opportunity to organize various exhibitions, and excellent acoustics provides for regular concerts. Cēsis Exhibition Hall is an important part of the culture of the city, every year around 24 Latvian and foreign artists’ exhibitions and 40 concerts are held here.