The museum’s exhibitions most important attraction is Cēsis castle manor house itself, its architecture, restored and reconstructed interiors. Interior exhibition, which is housed in the castle`s two rooms on the second floor and the third and fourth floor of the Lademaher tower, tells the story of the manor’s owner Count Sievers family history and at the same time represents the interior culture of the 18th-19th century as an essential component of the Baltic German cultural heritage.
It is the most elegant example of the Biedermeier style in Latvia. 18th and 19th century manor house interior household articles, portraits of Count Sievers, documents and family coats of arms are exhibited in the office.
The office construction took place between 1832 and 1833 during the manor’s refurbishment and improvements carried out by the owner Count Carl Gustav von Sievers (1772-1856). At this time the manor’s premises were made more suitable for the convenience of receptions and dinners. Both the office and the rest of the manor’s interiors are made in the style of Biedermeier, which is characterized by rational and cozy environment.
Excellent Biedermeier era-style interior example in Latvia, with a unique tent – type wall and ceiling décor. In the Coffee room, artworks of Cēsis Castle and the surrounding views from the beginning of 19th century are displayed.
The Coffee room was built simultaneously with the office around 1832 – 1833. It is named a Coffee room because of the coffee drinking traditions which became a custom for manor dwellers at the beginning of 19th century. Coffee drinking in the afternoon with pleasant company, or small talk during a cup of coffee, undoubtedly took an important place in the castle owner`s family, coffee-drinking culture necessitated the construction of an entire room. It is shaped like a small salon and it is linked to both the Office and the adjoining children’s room.
The only remaining furniture from the middle of 19th century are oak bookcases in neo-gothic style. In the library drawings from the middle of 19th century by Count Emanuel von Sievers of Cesis castle and manor house are exhibited.
The Library on the third floor of Lademaher tower was established in the 1850s, when Count Emanuel von Sievers completed his father’s unfinished manor house`s redevelopment projects, raising the tower with extra two upper floors. The library interior is adapted to the architecture of the tower and is built in neo-gothic style. The library was located on the third floor of the tower until 1890, when it was transfered one floor above.
Castle’s upper library
The interior includes oak book cases which were made using designs depicted in the drawings from the end of 19th century. The Gallery located above the bookcases, enclosed by railings, served as a reading and relaxation area for the Castle’s owners and guests with the opportunity to view the old town of Cēsis. In the tower gallery and staircase, Baltic German artists’ drawings and engravings of the medieval castle, show romanticized views from the 19th century.
Cēsis castle manor house visitors are offered an exhibition guide.