May Park (former Alex Park), along with the Cēsis Castle park, create an essential part of the downtown landscape.
It was created between 1832 – 1833, when the owner of the Castle, Count Carl Gustaf von Sievers, arranged gardens with pathways opposite the castle tavern. The park’s main feature was the narrow, long pond. The Count named his newly created garden or park in honour of his grandson Alexei born in Moscow in 1832. The arden was used for quiet walks and entertainment. In Alex Park a “gaff” was built – light, temporary building for theatre and bowling track, popular in 19th century.
After the Second World War, the park was renamed the 1st May Park,but in 1970s – the Victory Park. Sculptor Kārlis Jansons’ “Fight with Centaur” is exhibited in the park, which over time has become one of the most expressive symbols of the city.
Alex Park was reconstructed in the second half of 1930s at the same time the hotel “Tērvete” was built. In the 1960s, the fountain in the middle of pond was created. Reconstruction work was finished in 2005 when May Park was recognized as one of the 100 best maintained Latvian cultural monuments.
Currently May Park impresses its visitors and local people with colourful lights and fountains. Special inhabitants of the park are the black swan “family’, which is rare to Latvia.